Want to plan and lead on dives, organise and
manage groups of divers and develop rescue management
As a BSAC Dive Leader you are are becoming an expert in your field of dive leadership. You will also be competent in planning dives for groups of divers and managing diving on the day including, if necessary, managing rescue situations. This comprehensive course is a mix of classroom-based and practical lessons that will give divers confidence to plan, lead and manage dives, and deal with emergencies. Leading a dive will develop enjoyment, confidence and experience as a diver. After qualifying, and if you wish, depth can be built progressively to a maximum of 50m. Dive Leaders are eligible to progress to Open Water Instructor.
To enroll on the BSAC Dive Leader Course you must be 14 years or older. You must have already successfully completed a BSAC Sports Diver course (or qualifying certification from another recognised training agency).
What you’ll learn
You will learn dive leadership skills through 12 classroom lessons, seven open water dives, two dry practical lessons and 20 dives (which may include the open water lessons) in a range of conditions. The BSAC Dive Leader course covers the role of the BSAC Dive Leader, Dive Planning and Management, Delayed Surface Marker Buoy (DSMB) use (midwater deployment), dive leading demonstrations, basic life support with Oxygen administration and practical management of diving incidents, casualty assessment, dive planning, shot recovery by simple lift and review of rescue skills.
Qualification and what that means
A BSAC Dive Leader is defined as a diver who:
• can plan and lead a range of dives including those requiring detailed dive, gas and decompression requirements planning.
• has rescue management skills.
• is competent to manage and supervise branch dives to locations well known to the branch.
• can conduct dives with divers of any grade, to expand their experience beyond that previously encountered by those divers, under the supervision of a Dive Manager.
• can conduct experience building dives with trainee Ocean Divers, within the restrictions of the conditions already encountered by the trainee Ocean Diver, and under the supervision of a Dive Manager.
You will be given a pack as part of your course which includes all the learning materials you need for the BSAC Dive Leader course. The pack includes: Qualification Card application and an A5 binder with your Student Diver Notes and the Dive Leading Manual.
At this stage in your diving development you will most already own much of your own diving equipment such as mask, fins, snorkel, BC, regulators, computer and DSMB.
How to do this course
You can do this course by joining a North Glos BSAC and training with other club members.
The BSAC Dive Leader course is spread over a number of evenings and weekends.